Tuesday, September 25, 2007

height of humiliation-height of happiness

Ultimate humiliation-Trekking to Jewel with thirteen pre-teen girls to buy ice cream and toppings only to get armfuls, get in line, and not have your debit card. Turning around and telling 13 girls to "put back the ice cream" may be one of the hardest things I've ever done. You hear stories of poor mothers being embarrassed with 2 of their children in similar situations, I had 13. Then the lady was extremely rude. And the girls didn't want to put it back they just wanted to leave it, but I made
them put it back.

I felt like I was in Jr. High again. Like I had just completely ruined my first impression and no one was going to want to be a part of my small group because of my mess up (Nate found my debit card in the couch grrrrrrr).

Then we got back and the girls decided we would just eat what we had. Which consisted of

-Strawberries
-Strawberry Topping
-Animal Crackers
-Sprinkles
-Chips Ahoy
-Lime Chips

My heart burst open as I saw girls putting strawberries on lime chips and happily munching away.

Life would go on.

I may have been a little frazzled and a huge chunk of time was to be building the sundaes and talking while we did it, but we did the two games I had planned and played some volleyball (this group of girls loves it so I can't fight it).

Next week we will have a sundae party at the girls house where we are going to meet for the year.

As we were finishing up one of the seventh graders came up to me and said "If we are at the Hunt's house, how will we get the ice cream?" to which I replied, "Well don't you think I better get it ahead of time?" She smiled a big mouthful of braces and said "I like how you think" and trotted off.

They have probably already forgotten that we didn't have ice cream (well those that don't already have the pre-teen tude going on).

I will probably never forget.

But hopefully soon I can at least smile about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what an amazing story!!!

i loved it!!!

i love jr. highers!!!

nataliemma said...

you SHOULD come down to STL and see Shane! :-D eh? eh?

That is a great story.

Anonymous said...

are you thinking of coming to StL this weekend? it's looking like i'm going! and christin may!