Friday, September 14, 2007

soul vs. self

I realized that my "self" was getting away with a lot in the past 24 hours. Wanting things or a specific thing for selfish reasons.

My soul knows better.
My soul knows me.
Might be because Jesus is there.

There is a book I am reading right now called "Traveling Mercies: Some thoughts on Faith" by Anne Lamott(Natalie I think you would like her a lot!).

It along with supplication from the Good Word (he he), has gotten me through the past couple of days.

Here is an excerpt that seemed to hit home today.

"I started to feel like a tired, wired little kid at a birthday party who has had way too much sugar, who is in all ways on overload, but still finds herself blindfolded and spun around for a game of pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey, and then pushed more or less in the direction of the all with the donkey on it. But I was so turned around, so lost and overwhelmed and stressed that I couldn't even remember where the wall with the donkey was- or even in what direction it might be found. So I couldn't take one step forward without there being a chance that I was actually walking farther away from it. And it took me a while to remember that, for me, the wall with the donkey on it is Jesus."

mere

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great excerpt.

i should really start reading traveling mercies again.

i'm glad the three of us got to spend some time together. i think it was really good.

nataliemma said...

You put underwear on your head at Christmas?! Awesome.... that's so great.

Traveling Mercies- so crazy! Another friend told me a few months ago I'd love that book, too. That's pretty wild, I will definitely have to read it. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

post!